1. They're going to Central Park, then the Met; after that, they're just going to play it by ear.
2. Let's just play it by ear as far as what to do for the party. Let's see first who shows up.
3. Our excursion went well even though we mostly just played it by ear.
4. They could tell the manager was not ready for the meeting. He was clearly playing it by ear.
5. They don't know how long they'll stay at the party. They're just going to play it by ear. If they're having fun, they'll stay long. If not, they'll leave early.
Playing it by ear means not making definite plans and deciding what to do as things happen.
Brought to you by Joe Yu and the small guide site.
Follow Joe on Twitter @joeyu2nd